Crab Lands Session 5
“One man can keep a secret. Two, if one is dead. Conspiracies never work.” – Yasuki Taka, Yasuki Family Daimyo, Kolat Master
- Atari’s servant, Makoto, informs him that she “accidentally saw” a message from Ikoma Zai Ciphered and sent to Yasuki Aritomo stating “It is done. They are dead. Thank you.” The message was accompanied by a message from a Scorpion magistrate detailing the destruction of the Silken Smile and the deaths of all within.
- Soshi Saku’s servants arrive – Chukan Ueshiba, a Phoenix Servant (Scribe); vassal of the Asako family; Lore skills high (Sage Adv) and lots of scribing skills; minor acolyte of water (has about 5 spells); middle-aged, unambitious; goal is lore and knowledge of all types. Nanbu Yujifuka, a Scorpion servant; loyal to the Soshi family (ji-samurai budoka); vassal of the Soshi; primary skills in Investigation, Etiqutte, Kenjutsu; extremely loyal the Scorpion; motivated by a desire to bring his family into status within the Scorpion
- Saku gives each servant a task: Scorpion assigned to gain new information every day from the heimin and other Crab regarding maho without letting on what he is doing. Phoenix is tasked with gaining information from the Kuni Libraries (research the lineage of the Kuni and seek any suspicious activities; information about Kuni using maho).
- Saku also copied Isawa Tadaka’s journals twice (one just information about the Shadowlands minus personal detail).
- Oracle of the Void: in a meeting with Shosuro Atari, Soshi Saku witnesses Atari’s servant, Makoto, being taken over by the Oracle of the Void and acting as its Voice. The Oracle informs Saku that in the future he will have a choice; if he chooses Selfishly, a Dark Oracle will be created; if he chooses Unselfishly, a portion of both the Phoenix and the Scorpion will fall.
- The Oracle also informs Shosuro Atari of the death of his mother and father and the destruction of the Silken Smile by a ronin named Dairya (Glory 6.3; renowned ronin duelist).
- Builds trust with his troops and gunso (Etsui) placing emphasis on Crab military theory and application while teaching them Lion military theory; purpose is to find out how the Crab would engage other clans in war (Beiden Pass, Iron Turtles, etc.).
- Gifts the families of the Damned Crab who fell under his command with koku (5/each = 20 total).
- Engages with the unusual Yasuki Taka. Taka informs him that he is a Kolat Master and that he seeks to “test” Unmei’s loyalty to the conspiracy. Unmei is to kill a young Hiruma (not yet past gempukku; thus, still a child) to prove himself. The child’s father is a local lord who owes the Kolat. In this conversation, Unmei learns that his Revered Sensei, Akodo Kage, is actually Master Tiger, the Master of the Kolat.
- Subtly works in the Crab court ot tie the Scorpion and Crab together with stories and gossip emphasizing Duty and Loyalty. (Courtier: Manipulation roll – TN 20 w/2 Raises (+1 free); succeeds, citing Soshi Saku and SHosuro Itode from Bearers of Jade).
- Dealing with Aritomo; Aritomo agrees to secure Atari a tea house in Crab lands in exchange for an invitation to Winter Court.
- Learns that Ikoma Zai utilized ronin warriors to kill his parents and burned down the Silken Smile; for some reason, Zai sent Aritomo a thank you letter after the fact.
- Interaction with Bayushi Mizuru – told that he will serve the Scorpion – when the moment comes, he will know it.
CHAOS AND THE KOMMEI NO ONI!
- The old sensei, Maresuke, invites Soshi Saku to eat with him over the course of three days. On the third day, he invites the rest of the non-crab court (excepting Yasuki Aritomo, who comes as well) to a private meal so that he can “discuss private information.”
- Before the meal, Maresuke serves Saku once more from a special rice dish. This dish contains his blood and before the Soshi becomes aware he is under the affects of Blood Domination and bound to the oni’s will.
- During the meal, most of the rest of the attending group eats the rice and falls under his sway. In the process, Saku manages to warn Shosuro Atari that something is not right. Atari attempts to leave with Seppun Do, but is blocked by two Hida Guards.
- Combat ensues when Maresuke reveals himself to be a Kommei no Oni (the original Maresuke having been long ago taken by the oni). The oni begins attacking all present and commands Saku (through Blood Domination) to attack as well. The oni breathes his foul gas which can steal or exchange souls.
- Saku kills the two Crab henchmen, but manages to break out of the Blood Domination before he kills others.
- Akodo Unmei uses his Fear ability to prevent most from attacking properly boosting his resistance to the Blood Domination with an Honor Roll.
- Isawa Keikenna arrives mid-fight, but too late to save Atari.
- Ikoma Ai, a Lion courtier, fails against the Oni’s Spirit Leeching ability and is consumed by the demon.
- Shosuro Atari and Seppun Do both fail in the oni’s fog and their spirits are exchanged in their bodies. While this occurs, the oni takes advantage of the two’s weakened state and destroys Atari’s body before being pulled away in the combat.
- Yasuki Aritomo manages to escape the room; the PC’s destroy the oni and watch as numerous, now-Gaki, spirits flee his body (including Ikoma Ai, Seppun Do, Maresuke, and others).
- Kuni Yori confirms that Shosuro Atari’s spirit inhabits, free of the taint, Seppun Do’s body.
- 10xp (Total gained 116)
- All PC’s gain .3 boxes of Glory for slaying the Kommei no Oni
- Shosuro Atari inhabits Seppun Do’s body; gains all Physical Traits, Physical/Social Advantages, and Disadvantages, losing his own. The physical traits do not affect Insight (he must still raise those normally to do so). Gained: Antisocial (-2), Reflex 3, Stamina 3, Agility 4, Strength 3, Crab Hands, Large